Thursday 27 October 2016

Sensory Wall for less than $100




A number of years ago I bought a Sensory wall for Owen and it cost around $700.  It isn't really tailored for him so he only uses a few items on it.  I love the creativeness of making these sorts of things so I thought I'd try my hand at making a Sensory Wall.  I also I wanted to make it, if possible for less than $100.


What I used:



  • Plywood  (I got off cuts for 50 cents each from the now defunct Masters) 
  • Pine for framing so it would sit out from the wall (I got 4 off cuts for 75 cents each from the now defunct Masters) 
  • Wooden Xylophone (ebay $9.20 incl delivery)
  • Coloured wooden beads (I used pet bird ones and got them on eBay $2.70 incl delivery)
  • Wind chimes ( $5.40 inc delivery)
  • Wooden activity triangle  ($20 Kmart) 
  • Plastic activity cube ($10 Kmart)
  • Vibrating cat toys ($3 each cheap shops)
  • Wooden castanets ($2.68 eBay including delivery)
  • Bike bell (I got an easy ring one for approx $10 amazon)
  • Black spray paint  ($10 Hardware shop)
  • Brush ($3 Hardware)
  • Screws, cable ties, wood glue, hat elastic
  • Screwdriver, jigsaw (if you need to cut wood),sandpaper, drill and drill bits


How I did it:




  1. I sourced the parts and waited for delivery.  That is one of the longest parts as some take up to a month.
  2. I dismantled the activity cubes.
  3. I then put the plywood together and famed the back.  This step was only necessary so I could put moving toys  that could not "move" on a solid piece of wood.  I both glued and screwed the frame on.
  4. I laid out the items and took a photo of them in place.  I marked anywhere I would need drill holes and drilled them.
  5. I cut any larger holes/spaces with the jigsaw.
  6. I smoothed any edges with sandpaper.
  7. I painted the board and allowed it to dry.
  8. I threaded the beads through the hat elastic and attached it to the Xylophone.
  9. I drilled holes and screwed all the parts on.
  10. I cabled ties any parts on and trimmed the back.


How long did it take me?

Around 9 hours all up.  This time includes finding the products on ebay, painting and putting it all together.

What would I do differently:

  • Screw in the frame on from the back not the front, so you don't see the screws
  • I used a spray on paint, I would try and paint with a roller/brush Or I would a piece of wood that did not require painting.
  • I would also learn how to cut in a straight line and paint as both are appalling....

Happy making :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment