Thursday 30 July 2015

Using fabric to brighten your child's bedroom wall


We made Owen's room disability friendly a few years back. The walls looked plain and I wanted something bright on them to stimulate his vision and just brighten it. I didn't want to spend loads of money and wanted something a little different.

A large blank canvas can be quite expensive but I found some large canvas prints that Kmart were kicking out for $5.00 each. Then I bought some bright fabric (I picked some large quilting squares) from a fabric shop.  I positioned the fabric, ensuring I pulled it tightly and evenly, then used a staple gun to attach it to the back of the frame. 

The result? Cheap and bright and very Owen.  I've only shown you one but he has 4 in his room in all.

Another thing you could consider is buying lots of little off-cuts of fabric (or just use what you have in your sewing kit) and pull them firmly in embroidery hoops.  Tighten the hoop, then cut around the edges.  Hang on the wall. The last picture is the wall in Owen's Sensory room (there will be post about that room at a later stage).

1 comment:

  1. Another great idea from a great mum. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete