Tuesday 7 July 2015

Make your Laminator your friend

There can be a lot of people involved in the care of a special needs child. Owen is non verbal  and needs help feeding, so anyone looking after him needs to know what to feed him and when.  I vary what  and when I feed him. Activities he might enjoy can change on a daily basis (depending on his mood). Most service providers do have a booklet or something with instructions for their staff,  but I find it uses set times rather than fluid times, so I use this in conjunction with their requirements.  

I don't want to write or print a new list each time, so I print and laminate various lists, just cleaning them with a baby wipe and when dry, use a thin whiteboard marker to circle that day's selections.  Here is an example of how I set it up but you do what works for you.  You can leave lines to write messages.


Other lists you can do:

  • School lunch:  You can create a school lunch box list, with a spot for school to mark how much your child has eaten.   If you do it small enough you can pop it in their lunch box. I used to tell them what order to serve the food and  temperature to have it.
  • Labels for your cupboards ie where people can find bibs, towels, washers, which drawers have which item of the child's clothing (handy if someone offers to help with your washing).
  • Shower/bath instructions such as wash hair, dress in summer/winter pjs, brush teeth etc.
  • Chore lists for more able children.
Happy laminating :-)







No comments:

Post a Comment